In 1950, the CSEPEL 250 was designed and started initial production, alongside the smaller engine capacity models.
The original version featured a single cylinder twin piston engine unit, to exploit the many advantages of separate suction and exit slots on a two-stroke engine. This well proven method of Puch production had a short life at the Csepel Works, very soon the quarter litre Csepel 250 adopted a single cylinder design, laying the foundation for many years of Csepel development. Produced from 1951 to 1953, the single piston model had 11 horsepower output, 4-speed gearbox, Bosch flywheel magneto, 24 mm Jikov carburettor, strong cradle tubular cycle frame, front and rear telescopic suspension units, but retained the traditional spring-supported solo saddles.
The design of this construction, with imported components, was aimed at the export markets.